Date: July 20, 2014
In the final steps, I painted the fences and the flowers. I mentioned in step 2 that I painted Vento in the background to make certain that I spent the needed time to make her look right. By the time I got to the flowers, I was getting impatient to be finished. It was such a small area of the painting but making each flower look right took a lot of time. And so I ended up eliminating some of the flowers, and replacing them with sand! But at last the painting was finished after another six-hour stretch of working continuously on it.
Overall, I was quite satisfied with the life-like image of Elli and the overall composition. The painting is a bit empty in the middle but I thought this was necessary so as to not cause the painting to become over-cluttered or to distract the viewer’s attention from Vento in the background. I think the fence posts and flowers add the intended balance and splash of color.