Status of Original Painting – Private Collection
Size: 13 x 18 1/8 inches
Medium: Watercolour on 300 lb d’Arches
Fort Amherst is located on the other side of the Narrows across from the Battery and Signal Hill. This is the site of the very first lighthouse built in Newfoundland in 1813; only the foundations remain of it. During World War II, an extensive set of bunkers and gun emplacements were built on both sides of the Narrows to guard St. John’s harbour, as part of a series of defences that included a chain net to prevent U-Boats from entering the harbour. The dilapidated WWII bunkers and the foundations of the old lighthouse are visible in this painting. The second lighthouse was built here in 1954 and it functions today with signal light and foghorn; a museum and tea house is also on the site.